Sunday, September 11, 2011

Entry 6: Designs that are influenced by art.

From my previous researches, i found that art and design are actually very closely linked, often drawing inspirations off one another. Although Art and Design are very different in many ways, they are still linked by the demand of aesthetics and appeal, which can be determined by the target audiences.
Therefore for this week, i am interested in finding some references of designs that are affected by art/artists.

An reference i came across was found was Piet Mondriaan.


Piet Mondriann is famous for his De Stijl paintings which consists of simple griding and primary colors (as seen in the image on the far left). Since then, his art and the style he was well known for have inspired many designs in the modern fashion industries, sport apparel, architecture and even home decors.
I thought it was interesting to see how artworks and styles gets recycled by designers. Such as the way Nike borrowed the color palette of Mondriann's paintings.
In a way it is some what similar to the references i looked at before, where design and art linked. Additionally very much like i addressed in my earlier entries that artist aim to be original and unique with their style and works, whereas design look to borrow to fit into the trend of the time.

Another reference i looked at this week is ALSO Design, as i was really liked the illustrative style of this particular design group.
http://www.also-online.com/

http://www.wanken.com/blog/2009/04/13/3.jpg
I find the style of the animation for ALSO Design as well as the website itself very similar to the opening sequence of the movie: Catch me if you can. Which was inspired by Saul Bass's title sequence designs. Saul Bass was famous for his unique animated title sequences at the beginning of the films, by using kinetic typography.
Personally Saul Bass's animation style is one of my favourite, the cartoon styled animation gives humor, motion and intergration with texts. which is partially why ALSO Design's style really interested me.

In my own works, i knwo i am also very much influenced by other artists and their style. I draw my influences from Alphronse Mucha who was an Art Nouveau artist. I also try to take this influence into my design assignments as much as possible, as i am very comfortable working in that particular style.
I am very excited to see the connection between art and design, and designers who employ art as inspirations. It make the relationship between art and design seen alot more friendly compared to the differences i found and pointed out in my ealier posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment